Thursday, January 5, 2012

The Abyss

I got lost in Wal Mart last week.

It probably doesn’t sound that traumatizing or even mildly realistic, but it happened.  Okay, well, I guess more like I lost my parents in Wal Mart last week.  Which should probably now sound even LESS traumatizing, considering I am nearly 21 years old.

No.

I was walking towards the shampoo aisle with them right behind me, and then when I turned around to double check that they were in close proximity, they were gone.  Okay, I thought.  I’ll just get the hair products that I need, go back, and catch up with them.  So I wander into the beauty products, pick up my items, and head towards the grocery section.

And they were nowhere to be found.

Now, normally, I would not panic.  But this is not an average day in Wal Mart.  First of all, it is two days after Christmas.  So Wal Mart has more people than usual.  Second, they are always redoing my Wal Mart.  And it is big.  So when I’m home and I go in there, I never know where anything is.  I never even know where I am.  Sometimes, I forget my own name.  Third, you don’t know where I live.  People in my town live for Wal Mart.  They DIE for Wal Mart.  They would KILL for Wal Mart.  If there’s a deal, they gotta have it, and they gotta have it NOW.  Lastly, it is Wal Mart.  That should say enough.

So I am perusing the food aisles looking for them, as they had mentioned that they needed to pick up some things for dinner, but they are not there.  I meander into the women’s clothes section.  Why they would be there, especially my father, I do not know.  But I am in a state of panic and so I am going through the motions without thinking.  No parents.  I then head into electronics.  Still no parents.

At this point, I start tweeting.  I try to keep my cool, managing to type out on the tiny keys of my BlackBerry, “I've lost my parents in the abyss called walmart. Wandering aimlessly in electronics.”  But my wandering was not aimless.  It was not even wandering.  It was quick-paced, brisk walking, bordering on a light jog.

Keep in mind my arms are full of beauty products and now also a bag of tortilla chips that I somehow acquired along the way.  And I still somehow managed to tweet while in my current mental state.  I am actually impressed with all of this as I write this now.

Anyway, I leave electronics and start walking through home décor.  Still no sign of Parents.  I look down the toy aisles, because naturally that is where Parents would be.  False, I am in a state of panic and my senses are skewed.

My pace increases, and suddenly I am faced with an entire section of Christmas clearance items.  My heart rate drops, my breathing pattern slows to regular, and panic is gone.  Why I did not think of the Christmas clearance section in the first place is beyond me.  This is my parents we are talking about.

The first aisle I turn down, there are Parents.  With Christmas clearance stacks in their baskets.  Yes, baskets.  They have two.

Tweet: “Update: found them in christmas clearance. I am not surprised.”

Now that I am safely assured of where Parents are, I continue my shopping.  I even casually slip through the aisles, now able to relax and find things I do not need but have my parents buy for me anyway.  Life is great!

Finally, my parents are content with their clearance items.  They have made their way to grocery items and are deciding on dinner.  I decide to stay near the registers, awaiting our pending departure.  And that is when I spot these:



I look at them.  I pick them up.  I read their box.  I picture myself wearing them.  I seriously contemplate purchasing them for a minute.

And that is the moment I realize we need to leave Wal Mart immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment